Saturday, March 26, 2011

Waxing Rhapsodic

It has been nearly six months since our return from our Alaskan adventure.  Many have asked if our journey changed us.

If you recall, the goal for our adventure was "Mission Transition" after David's retirement... to do something so radical that we simply couldn't return to our normal schedule.

We were mostly successful.  David certainly hasn't looked back.  He still is glad that he retired and seems not to be missing the work.  Although, I know that he misses the camaraderie of colleagues.  He is currently involved in several ministries that excite and rejuvenate him.

As for me… well, I’ll write more about that in an upcoming blog.

What surprised us most on our return was how quickly we dropped back into the velocity of life.  I had hoped that the "vacation glow" would last much longer than just a few days.  Instead, our homecoming was simply too frenetic.  

Within days of our return, we were helping my my mother to find a new home.  The very day after her moving van arrived, David's mother had a health crisis that sent her to the hospital and rehab for several weeks.  

In early November and December, respectively, David and Rox each had shoulder surgeries with long recoveries.  Then, shortly after Christmas, we began two new remodel projects on the house.  With so many twists and turns, it has been difficult to find time to reflect.  

Conversations during a visit with dear friends in January, however, put our trip into better perspective for me.  They mentioned how different I seemed and attributed it to our adventure.  

I feel it, also.  In the next several posts, please allow me to wax rhapsodic about our "trip of a lifetime."

No comments:

Post a Comment