Friday, August 11, 2017

The Stowaway

We broke camp at Minnesota's Woodenfrog State Campground early in the morning, ready to start our way south. We stopped by the trash bin, and while David was dumping the garbage, I noticed movement just below the truck's windshield wiper.  It was a tiny chipmunk with a very long tail.  The little critter disappeared under the hood.

I quickly turned off the engine and popped the hood.  I told David that we had a stowaway chipmunk.  The two of us searched for the little stink, with no luck.  David assured me that he had probably hopped to the ground and scampered away when I turned off the engine.  I wasn't certain.  He had disappeared right around the windshield wiper housing.

Within minutes of driving, it began to mist.  Then it began to rain in earnest.  I had no choice but to turn on the wipers.  I cringed at the thought of that chipmunk trapped in the windshield wiper mechanism.

Since we had such an early start to our day, we stopped for breakfast.  Surely if the chipmunk were still in the truck, he would run for dear life.  Later we stopped for gas.  No sign of the little guy.

That evening we stopped to camp in southern Minnesota at the Forestville State Park.  While David was inside, checking on campsites, I was shocked to see a familiar tail scurry across the windshield.  Then he disappeared once again into the windshield wiper housing.

David was as surprised as I had been when I told him the news about our stowaway.  We drove through the campground to find a site, then returned to the park office to register.  I turned the engine off and waited for David... and the chipmunk.  Sure enough, the little critter came out of the housing again.  This time, however, he launched himself off the hood of the truck and onto the road.  He dashed about 15 feet, then turned around and took a good, long look at the truck.  Within a few seconds, he disappeared into the forest.

Now I was worried if he could survive in his new home.  Thankfully, I saw several other chipmunks in the area later that evening.  They weren't as tiny as ours, but at least I knew that he had a chance.

I can't imagine how that chipmunk survived his ordeal.  He had been transported over 400 miles above a noisy, hot engine.  Who knows what he went through when I had the windshield wipers going.  Without a burrow, he would now be exposed to additional predator dangers.

I sure hope the little guy makes it.  One thing is for certain... that chipmunk will never stow away in a vehicle again!

1 comment:

  1. Love the chipmunk story! Made my day. Hope he/she is OK!

    ReplyDelete