Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Diamond in the Rough

We left Yellowstone, taking a wild ride over Beartooth Pass.  Quite honestly, its twists and turns rivaled Disney's Space Mountain.

Then... poof... the mountains vanished from the rear view mirror as we headed east toward North Dakota.  I admit that I was melancholy, leaving my beautiful mountains.  It was yet another reminder that our adventure is almost over.  I packed up the long-distance lens on the camera, figuring that I would not be taking many more wildlife shots.

We spent the night in Hardin, Montana, then continued eastward to Theodore Roosevelt National Park.  The terrain began to change, offering hope that perhaps God had a few more surprises for us.  He definitely outdid Himself!

Theodore Roosevelt National Park is truly a diamond in the rough terrain near Medora, North Dakota.  After a bison hunt in the area, Roosevelt was so taken with the landscape that he purchased a ranch that later became part of this beautiful national park.



The arid terrain is dotted with juniper.  Golden cottonwoods line rivers and creeks.  The mountains looked like Indian skirts layered in beautiful reds, greys, and browns, a mixture of sedimentary rock and stone.

We chatted with the park ranger in the visitor center about possible animal sightings.  He marked the map with the best wildlife viewing areas, warning us that with hunting season open outside the park that animals may be scarce.  The next morning, mustering optimism, I reloaded the long-distance lens.

We awoke to a perfect morning, crisp and cool... just a day after a hard rain.  Within minutes, we caught sight of a bull elk running along a ridge against a brilliant blue sky.


Around a bend, we found a bison basking in the sunlight...


And a beautiful doe grazing...


Then I spied him on a ridge... a wild stallion... and I caught my breath.


Since childhood, these magnificent creatures have stirred my heart.  My office is replete with horse art, including paintings, photos, prints, and carvings.  On September 25, 2010, God blessed me with the opportunity to take my first photograph of a wild stallion.  I admit that I wept at the sight of this splendid beast.

Although we had only planned to spend one night, we spent three wonderful days and nights at Roosevelt, reveling in the landscape and wildlife.  Our campsite overlooked a mesa.  Each night, Venus rose above the horizon, and we were bathed in starlight.  

The last morning when we awoke, David and I laughed and both said that we thought that we had heard heavy hooves around the camper during the night.  When we stepped out of the camper, Rox immediately found evidence that we were right.  An enormous bison patty lay not more than eight feet from our door.  After a quick survey of the area, we found the culprit:  a bull grazing about 50 yards from us.  (Roxanne has since certainly developed an affinity for bison... perhaps because she knows what the north and south end of a bison smell like!)

For me, however, it is the wild horses that will bring me back to North Dakota.  I leave you with just a few of the precious moments that we shared with them.   








Tonight I bow in deep gratitude to the One who gave the horse his strength and clothed his neck with thunder.  Job 39:19 


1 comment: