Wednesday, October 2, 2013

CLOSED!!!

Yellowsone closed
While I was in the shower this morning, David decided to turn on the news.  It was the first time in weeks that he had watched it.  I told him before I went in, "Be careful... it will make you sick."

When I emerged dripping wet, David had an unexpected surprise. He explained to me that the government had shut down, including the national parks.  Obviously, that was the reason that we were ejected from Glacier yesterday.  Surely, however, we said, this won't last.

My moose shot now in jeopardy, we headed for Yellowstone.  Just to be on the safe side, however, we decided to go into the west entrance of Yellowstone rather than the north.  The north entrance would require too much backtracking.

When we arrived at West Yellowstone, the gate was, indeed, closed.  Four tour buses were parked just outside the entrance when we arrived.  Park ranger vehicles barred the park's gate.  I slipped out of the truck to take photos, not knowing how the crowd might be reacting.

Yellowstone closed
The tour buses were full of orientals.  I couldn't help but feel embarrassed.  I guessed that most had saved a lifetime to make this trip.  Now the park was closed... I was heartsick for them.

What I discovered, however, was surprising.  Rather than being upset and frustrated because the park was closed, it felt that they considered themselves privileged to be part of some kind of event.  Each wanted to be photographed in front of the closure sign.  It occurred to me that while we in the U.S. were reeling from the shutdown, these tourists were quite familiar with a government disappointing them.


Local businesses also had their take on the turn of events...


Turning from the Yellowstone entrance, we knew that we were in dire need of a campground as evening was quickly approaching.  The West Yellowstone visitor's center assured us that the national forest area had remained open.  We drove to Barker's Hole only to find this sign:


Evidently, the government shutdown had even affected the river... no fishing or camping allowed.

Thankfully, we found another national forest campground still open.  Tomorrow we will head towards the Grand Tetons, hoping that my moose will appear in camera range.  Who knows what tomorrow will hold?




No comments:

Post a Comment