Thursday, October 3, 2013

We, the People

Any time we have entered a national park, a sign greets us:

Welcome to YOUR national park.

It certainly doesn't feel like it today.  It feels as if a few people who feel powerful have snatched something precious from "We, the people."

There is a scene from Goldie Hahn's movie "Protocol," that seems to fit perfectly.  She has been played by the "current administration" and is now facing a Senate hearing and pressed to name those who framed her.  In short, her words were as follows:

"I'm responsible.  When Congress acts, it has a direct effect on "We the People's" lives.  So if we don't -- I mean, if I don't -- know what you're up to, and if I don't holler and scream when I think you're doing it wrong, and if I just mind my own business and don't vote or care, then I just get what I deserve.  So now that I'm Sunny Davis, a private citizen again, you're going to have to watch out for me, 'cause I'm gonna be watching all of you... like a hawk."  
(Please watch the entire clip at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-BMCKB_TB0)

It has been an amazing several days.  David and I witnessed four tour buses filled with folks who traveled here from the Orient parked at the West Yellowstone entrance and not allowed to enter.  Of course, there were hundreds, perhaps a thousand more buses across the U.S. in similar situations.  I have to reflect... what does it say when our government choses to show our country's hospitality by shutting down our national parks?

American citizens who planned their 50th wedding anniversary at a national park lodge, or wanted to visit the fall colors, or saved a lifetime for one week in a particular national park, or those needed to get away for whatever reason... all thwarted.  David and I are fortunate.  We have had the privilege to visit most of our country's national parks.  With our style of camping, we can boondock (dry camp) on national forest or BLM ground without a formal campground.  This is not true of many.

The good news, however, is that, without exception, we have not met a single person upset about the closing of our national parks... disappointed, yes, but not upset or angry.  We met an East German couple who had never known freedom until the wall came down.  They are now grateful just be able to travel and are amazed at the grandness of the U.S.  The Oriental folks on the tour buses outside of Yellowstone seemed to feel that this was an "event" and, perhaps, they had already been so disappointed by their own governments that this U.S. event felt typical.  Folks from Denmark, the Dutch, Canadians, Americans, and even state park rangers have reported to us that they are happy with the closings because it has pushed them to visit parks and places they never would have considered before the shut down.

The best news is this:  I am happy to report that "We, the People" are a resilient lot.  And while I admit that David and I have not had access to (nor been interested in) the latest news coverage, it seems that this is true:  "We, the People" need to rethink how our government is affecting our lives.  Like Goldie Hahn's character in "Protocol," perhaps it is time that "We, the People" should be watching each and everyone of them... like a hawk.

No comments:

Post a Comment